A Vist to Japan - 2018
The Essential Japan
Denver Takayama Sister Cities
Trip home page
Welcome to our place ...
... where we will plan our trip from Denver to Japan in June 2018!
Actually, we have two choices for you:
- Our core trip, "The Essential Japan" from June 2 -15, including Takayama,
Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Tokyo
- And an optional front end, "Kanazawa Festival" departing May 30 in order to catch the famous Kanazawa festival and joining the core trip group in Hiroshima on June 4.
Whether this is your first time to Japan, or you are re-acquainting yourself to this charming, mysterious country, you need to visit Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Takayama.
The town of Kanazawa is famous for it's Kenrokuen Garden, but it also a fascinating town aside from the garden. And the chance to view the festival was too good not to at least offer it as an opportunity.
Introduction to this tripsite
These webpages are for everyone involved in our adventure to find out more about this trip, and to keep informed as we get closer to our departure.
The focus of this trip is to explore Japan and, as often as possible, to go a little deeper than the usual tourist facade.
We will meet this second objective by using public transportation, finding little-known venues, and, in Takayama, by visiting the households of ordinary Japanese families.
In the box at left are links for you to find out:
- who else is taking this trip
- some ideas about the foods you might encounter and enjoy - or want to avoid
- information about the people who are helping make this trip happen (travel agents, contacts in our destination cities, and so on)
- events going on locally that you might be interested in because they provide opportunities to prepare and learn for this journey
- itinerary details
- pricing information
- some hints and tools to make the trip easier
You will also find links to provide information about the cities we will be visiting, resources you might find useful / helpful, and email addresses for your primary contacts.
Our trip is affiliated with Denver Sister Cities International (DSCI) and the Denver Takayama Sister City Committee (DTSCC). This means: to participate in the trip you must join DSCI. This is primarily for insurance purposes. If you are not a member, part of your trip fees will be applied towards a one-year membership.
What's new on this website?
We are regularly adding and updating pages on the website. To help you keep up with changes, below is a list of the changes in reverse chronological order (most recent at the top).
- 07 February, 2018 - updated weather and what-to-wear pages (see FAQs)
- 04 February, 2018 - updated payment schedule to better reflect signup deadline
- 19 December, 2017 - official selection of travel agency (H.I.S.); updated Support page; updated checklist page; added some travelers
- 07 December, 2017 - Re-do several pages due to need to change order of visiting cities
- 02 December, 2017 - Website first available, although not publicized.